Programme/ NRHM Initiatives / ASHA-Accredited Social Health Activist
ASHA-Accredited Social Health Activist
Duty of ASHA
- ASHA will be the first port of call for any health related demands of deprived sections of the population, especially women and children, who find it difficult to access health services.
- ASHA will be a health activist in the community who will create awareness on health and its social determinants and mobilise the community towards local health planning and increased utilisation and accountability of the existing health services.
- She would be a promoter of good health practices and will also provide a minimum package of curative care as appropriate and feasible for that level and make timely referrals.
- She will act as a depot older for essential provisions being made available to all habitations like Oral Rehydration Therapy (ORS), Iron Folic Acid Tablet(IFA), chloroquine, Disposable Delivery Kits (DDK), Oral Pills & Condoms, etc.
- The ASHA will take steps to create awareness and provide information to the community on determinants of health such as nutrition, basic sanitation & hygiene practices, healthy living condition for working conditions, information on existing health services and timely utilization of health & family welfare services.
- She will counsel women on birth preparedness, importance of safe delivery, breast feeding and complementary feeding, immunization, contraception and prevention of common infections including RTI/STI and care of young child.
- ASHA will mobilize the community and facilitate them in accessing health and its related services available at the Anganwadi/Sub-center/primary health centers.
- She will assist the Village health & sanitation committee of the Gram panchayat to develop a comprehensive village health plan.
- She will escort/accompany pregnant women & children requiring treatment / admission to the nearest pre-identified health facility i.e. PHC/CHC/FRU.
- She will provide primary medical care for minor ailments such as diarrhoea, fever, and first aid for minor injuries, work as provider of DOTS under RNTCP. She will also act as depot holder for essential provisions which will be made available to every habitation.
- She will inform about the births and deaths in her village and any unusual health problems/disease outbreaks in the community to the Sub-Center/Primary Health Centre. Besides, she will also promote construction of household toilets under Total sanitation campaign.